January 14, 2011

Nannie Kentucky


When I was a young girl, I never thought there could be another Nanny.
You see my maternal Grandmother was Nanny.
There was only one.

But, I met this man, Devin, and fell in love.
And you know what? His maternal Grandmother was named Nannie too.
Better still, she was the definition of strength, the backbone of the family, and one of the most classy and foxy women I had ever met.
Hmm, I guess there really were two Nannys....

To avoid confusion, Nannie-KY was so gracious and allowed my niece and son to call her just that, Nannie-KY.

My Nanny passed away December 2007 and I still miss her every day.
My other Nannie, from KY, passed away this past Thursday morning.

I have not cried yet, because I have to go to work through today and I know the floodgates will open.

You see, she was not my Nannie-in-law. She was my Nannie too. She opened her home to me and for the last 18 years, loved me up as if I were her own. She cared for me, cooked for me, and was the definition of Southern hospitality.

Everyone should have a northern Nanny and a southern Nannie...

Rest well my Nannys.
I am you and I love you.

Go love on somebody right now everybody...

peace

9 comments:

  1. She sounds like an amazing woman, a true treasure, who impacted your life greatly. I love you Gerri! You, Devin, Noah and the rest of the Smalley clan are in my prayers.


    Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.
    2 Corinthians 1:3-5

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me cry! You and your family show so much compassion and hospitality, that for you to talk about both Nannys that way, I KNOW they must be some kind of special. I know she was amazing just by the words you've shared. We're praying for all of you guys... you, Devin and Noah, and we're sending all our love to you!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Gerri, I am most sorry for your loss. Michael's grandmother is like that to me. Nannys are very special somebodys. I am touched by this post and your beautiful attitude and deep expression. I love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear Gerri. I'll be praying for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for your loss Gerri,may God be with you and yours.
    Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear of your loss. God bless you and all your family always. Lovely picture of all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry for your loss. She looks like a beautiful person. : ) I am glad you had her love in your life for 18 years,

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry that you are faced with this loss. She sounds like everything we should all strive to be. What a beautiful picture of you sitting with her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. May God continue to comfort you and your family during your grief.

    ReplyDelete

Express Yourself