February 26, 2011

Wishy Washy...

I do not have 19 kids. But, the Duggars do.
So, I'm pretty sure they know a thing or two about keeping a family clean and healthy while also saving money...

My friend Stephanie hipped me to their homemade laundry soap formula.

I decided to try it...

I used the recipe for the liquid version. I plan to try the powder one next.
[The recipes for both are at the bottom of this post.]

I bought this 5 gallon bucket and lid (not shown) from Walmart for about $3.50.

I found this box of super soda from Meijer for about $3.

I found this bar soap at our specialty grocery store (VGs) for $1.50.

I found this borax at Walmart for about $3.

I usually spend $10 on an all natural liquid detergent (green bottle below).

After doing the recipe...
I filled this ENTIRE bucket with soap.

I filled my old bottle half way, added water...
and still had this much left.
I'm thinking I will be able to do this at least 4 more times.
That's a 5 to 1 Ratio, for just $11!!!!

**BONUS**--When I do it again, I won't need to buy a bucket, or either of the powders...SO...I will just have to spend $1.50 for a new bar of soap.

I don't know about you, but I'll take that!!!

Happy Washing Everyone!!

Duggars Recipes

Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap Recipe - Front or Top Load Machine

4 Cups - hot tap water
1 Fels - Naptha soap bar
1 Cup -
Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda*
½ Cup Borax

- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.

-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.

-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)

-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.

-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.

-Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)

-Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)

*Arm & Hammer "Super Washing Soda" - in some stores or may be purchased online here (at Meijer.com). Baking Soda will not work, nor will Arm & Hammer Detergent - It must be sodium carbonate!!

Powdered Laundry Detergent - Top Load Machine

1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 Cup -
Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda*
½ Cup Borax

-Grate soap or break into pieces and process in a food processor until powdered. Mix all ingredients. For light load, use 1 Tablespoon. For heavy or heavily soiled load, use 2 Tablespoons. Yields: 3 Cups detergent. (Approx. 40 loads)

*Arm & Hammer "Super Washing Soda" - in some stores or may be purchased online here (at Meijer.com). Baking Soda will not work, nor will Arm & Hammer Detergent - It must be sodium carbonate!!

TIPS FOR LAUNDRY SOAP: The Duggars use Fels-Naptha bar soap in the homemade soap recipes, but you can use Ivory, Sunlight, Kirk's Hardwater Castile or Zote bars. Don't use heavily perfumed soaps. They buy Fels-Naptha by the case from our local grocer or online. Washing Soda and Borax can often be found on the laundry or cleaning aisle. Recipe cost approx. $2 per batch.

3 comments:

  1. really cool post! i wonder how this would work in terms of sensative skin and all? asher has eczema and i have to buy 'all free' because the perfumes irritate his skin.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. Detergent is sooooo expensive over here. Like at least $17. for a container. Great post and I do find that those Duggars know what they're talking about when it comes to all things running a home. ANd they're just so darned interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this informative post. This could help me a lot. You should see how much wash I do each week!!

    ReplyDelete

Express Yourself