February 17, 2012

Instant Class Adventure

Recently, I took a trip 3 1/2 hour trip from my home.
Well, 7 hours if you count the drive back, but, I digress...

This trip was for me.
It was a big step in the right direction.
You see, this year I'm expanding...
I'm stepping out there, on my own...
I was so excited and nervous at the same time.
This was my first photography class, ever.

Soon after my trek began, this sign appeared.
"Not much longer", I thought.

After stopping at a local dive for a slice of pizza, 
that I could barely eat because I was so excited, this sign appeared.
"OMGoodness, I'm here again", I thought.
This pass summer, coming home from a family trip, I had stopped in to buy my first packs of instant film.

This visit would be different.
Today, I was here to learn, explore, and yes, most likely make mistakes.
Upon entering, I thought it was just as beautiful as I remembered.
Cameras, and goodies everywhere...

Pretty soon after, we were all gathered together and given our film.
We all sat eagerly, listening to the lesson, and itching to make our 8 valuable photos with this amazing film.
There were fantastic models and still life props.

I stumbled...I triumphed...
(pictures of my oops and ahhs are further down the post)

But, then I wanted to make sure to capture the essence of this wonderful store.
So, I pulled out my trusty, go to tool, my iPhone 4s.

My first photos were of a couple of the still life props they set up for us...


And then...I saw this again. 
Even though I took an instant picture of this same spot, 
I wanted to MAKE SURE I had it digitally as well.

Doesn't that first beauty remind you of a Caramel Frappacino or Macchiato?
Or, maybe that's just me...

I want one of these really, really bad...

Another still life...

Vintage Beauty.

I made a run to the potty and found this cute stool in there. 
he he he
The place is amazing. 
I can't wait to go back and explore some more.

What did I learn?

Well, here are my 3 "whoops" pictures.
Photo 1-When using this film with my sonar one-step camera, I have to remember to adjust my exposure. Too light leads to a blown out photo.
Photo 2-Focus, check your focus, and focus some more. Oh, and, use a tripod. One little movement will blur your $3 shot to bits.
Photo 3-(Taken at my house later that night) Make sure you have the right lighting conditions...and oh yeah, focus properly.

Yes, I made some "whoops". But, here's the good news, I did some things well too.
One big lesson was how to properly protect my photos from the light as they exit my camera.

Here are my favorite pictures from that day.
All in all, it was a fabulous adventure...

The sun said goodbye to me as I made it back to my home state...

Once home, I shared my tips with my son and niece.

Noah took the first picture and my 4 year old niece took the second picture; not bad at all. :)

peace, love, and adventure...

14 comments:

  1. what an amazing trip...it sounds like it was so inspiring :) i want to visit that store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a fun trip. Thank you for inviting me to join you. Wow. I was impressed with the final pictures. I love the one with the red shoes. It has such an aged look and reminds me of photos my mother took while in college. I have her scrap books, most are in black and white, but there are a few in color and they have this "aged" look to them. So cool!

    I think you are doing a wonderful job at expanding your talents, which are many! Keep at it, Gerri. I'm really impressed:~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The red shoes are my favorite too! Thanks for the encouragement. :)

      Delete
  3. So excited for you Gerri! The photos both iphone and polaroid turned out awesome can't wait to see what comes next. Have you been looking at Susannah's blog lately she has some really great polaroid posts that made me think of you!

    I'm taking my first DSLR class this weekend and can't wait hopefully I'll learn how to use this camera properly :) Awesome job my Flickr friend! M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much my friend! :) I have been enjoying Susannah's blog so much. Especially, since she's returned from her last teaching trip, what an adventure...Susannah really inspires me. What a compliment that I even came to mind when you were reading her blog. :O

      Oh, how wonderful! I can't wait to hear how your class goes. ;) You are a fabulous photographer, this class will be icing on your artistic cake! I plan to learn how to use my digital camera better too. Take care! xo

      Delete
  4. gerri, i have stumbled upon your blog from the squam blog. and now i remember you from unravelling 2 this past fall! so lovely to find your space here in the blogosphere. such a great post...a peek inside your photography foray. i love it!!! i am toying with the idea of purchasing a SX-70...getting scared off by the price of film. but, oh, i love the look of a polaroid!
    thanks for sharing a bit of your journey here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Michelle!! xo

      Delete
  5. I'm thrilled for you Gerri!!!! You are going to do so well in this new chapter of your life. All the brightness and beauty of your selfless spirit will blossom in this new avenue of creativity. I can't wait to read about your journey here. Good luck my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, thank you so much Kelly! It's been a fun and exciting journey, thats for sure...xoxo

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful place. I love that you're sharing this with Noah and love even more that he's interested!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having fun learning and he's mentioned that he wishes his school had a photography class. I may bring it up to the school for next year. :)

      Delete

Express Yourself