March 19, 2012

Being Vulnerable, Being Courageous

Last spring I unknowingly began a journey of vulnerability. I had just finished an art journaling eCourse and was smack dab in the middle of another eCourse called Unravelling. The truth is, I was literally unravelling. Those two courses had started me on a path. A path of awakening to some pretty intense emotions.

When I stumbled across this talk, I was blown away. I had never heard anyone discuss shame and vulnerability in this way. 

Brené Brown shares life changing information when she speaks. I now have read her books, shared her books with my family, and taken an eCourse with her. 

I can say today, that I love myself more. I am gentler with myself by showing self-compassion. I'm a better person to my family. I meet shame face-to-face several times a day. I'm learning that being vulnerable does not make me weak. I am still a warrior, but an enlightened one.

Listen to Brené's talk from 2011


Listen to Brené's NEW talk from 2012



12 comments:

  1. I just started reading her THE GIFTS OF IMPERFECTION and am loving it, I didn't realize she had these TED talks too. Can't wait to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's how I found her. Inspiring...enjoy. :)

      Delete
  2. Gerri, Thank you for sharing. I've seen links to at least her 2011 TED talk before, but I've never watched it. Something in your words and your experience made me decide I should take the time to watch them both. I'm so glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so happy to hear this. I have a rule that if I come across something twice, it's meant to be. :) xo

      Delete
  3. LOVED that new one too!!! It's so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Besides the "vulnerability is not weakness" quote; I loved, "vulnerability is our most accurate measure of courage" and "empathy is the antidote to shame." Life-changing... ;)

      Delete
  4. "I'm learning that being vulnerable does not make me weak. I am still a warrior, but an enlightened one." - LOVE that line. I feel as though I am on a journey too (without a destination in mind). I did the Unravelling course in August 2010 and it made me question everything I was doing at the time (in a good way). I'm figuring out a new path for myself now :) (Fellow BftH-er)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna! First off, I thought you were my Mom when I saw the name in my email! She's named Donna too. ;)

      Good to hear that you're on a new path. Susannah's work has been so much to so many. She's planting seeds that we in turn are blossoming from! See you in class and hopefully more often in "Bloggyland" Thanks for saying, "Hello!" :)

      Delete
  5. I watched the 2011 one a while back. I enjoyed everything she had to say. So honest and compassionate in her approach to herself and her own experience. Really loved it. Thanks for sharing the 2012 clip. Now I'm gonna check it out. And I didn't even realize she had books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great videos! Thanks so much for sharing them. I've heard so much about her but have never heard her talk before. It's given me a lot to think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome! I'm glad you connected with what she had to say. :)

      Delete

Express Yourself