Thursday, March 22, 2012

Expanding Artistically

I have been having the trickiest time getting quality photos with my current digital camera. So much so, unless I'm shooting film, I use my iPhone 4s. This is fine, but my word for 2012 is "expand".

One of my "expanding" photography goals is to learn to shoot manually. I can't do that with my iPhone. And, although my 10-year-old digital camera has been good to my family, it was time to step out there. I took a leap and made a purchase.

 My dog was very curious about what was inside of the big box.





Here's my new/first Canon. It's a EOS 550D/Rebel T2i. I did a LOT of research and had tremendous help from a friend. She coached me into the wee hours; and with her help, I selected a camera that was right for me. I can learn and also create beauty with this quality piece of equipment.

I'm pretty stinkin' excited, not only because I have a new toy tool; but because I took the leap. Yep, I am definitely expanding.

peace

20 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new purchase! Gorgeous camera too. I can't wait to see how you grow and have fun through your new equipment. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm looking forward to finding out all about it. ;)

      Delete
  2. yeah! I shoot with an old rebel xs (the original). I LOVE it. I've had it for 7 years & it's been so good to me! someday I do hope to upgrade to the T3 so I can capture video clips of my kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too cool. 7 Years, that's amazing. I'm only hearing great things about Canon. So glad I took the leap. The T3 does look pretty cool! xo

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! What a beautiful purchase..and exciting expansion into new territory. I"m very excited for you! (juli, from BftH http://wordsandphotographs.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!!!! SOOOOO EXCITED for YOU!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! Enjoy! Can't wait to see those beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks Leah. I like they way your said "beautiful pictures", that's great encouragement. ;)

      Delete
  6. Snap! I have the same camera. It's geting a bit dusty. You've inspired me to bring it out again :)
    Can't wait to see your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, too cool Donna!! Thanks. ;)

      Delete
  7. so exciting, gerri! i'll be looking forward to seeing photos with your new toy...i mean, tool ;)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am so right there with you. my poor little p&s, gets used less and less. and i know i will soon make the plunge to digital slr. but the many models out there are overwhelming. i would love to hear what your requirements were and why you chose this model. lucky you! i am celebrating your art-focused expansion!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi jojo,
      Well, to be honest, until a year ago I was clueless about cameras. My favorite photographers all use Canons. I then asked a close friend, who is a gifted photographer, where to start. She suggested a rebel. I then read about each rebel and it came down to do I need to shoot video or not? and how fancy will the video need to be? The T2i and T3i are very similar except the T3i shoots fancier video. Youtube is a great resource for learning about each camera too. After talking with another friend, I got confirmation on my choice of rebels. So, I ended on T2i. Not the newest, but really GREAT reviews and well known for it's quality for a reasonable price. I didn't need fancier video. Hope this helps! :)

      Delete
  9. I have Canon Eos 600D and I love it ;)canon is the best! followed back hon:X
    Fashionspot.ro

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woot! Woot! A brand new camera! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hon. I'm learning, little by little. :) xo

      Delete

Express Yourself