May 5, 2012

The Manual Experience

My favorite camera is my Polaroid 250. I love the clean look of her. She's simple, yet elegant. Some of her amazing features:

The metal body frame.
The simple steps to creating photographic moments.
The peel apart film that's used. Fuji's versions / Impossible's versions
The accordion nature of the body...ahh...

One thing I was a bit sad about was the fact that she's Automatic. Which means, I have little control on how fast she shoots, and how close/far she focuses. I then found out about the manual Land cameras.

Her cousins, the Polaroid 180/185/190/195 are manual. These Professional Land cameras have prices that can range into the thousands. I don't have that sort of money (at the moment-wink*) to spend on a hobby. So, I begin to think about the idea of conversion. I literally mistakenly came across Option8's website one night and the rest is history.

Option8, also known as Nate, took my Automatic 250 and made her Manual...


Isn't she a beauty? Notice her new shutter speed dial, 6 aperture options on top, and flash power cord socket. The new LED light on top will light up after my shutter speed has set. Lots of new rules and gadgets, but I wanted manual. Right? Yes!!!

I was pretty excited when I realized that she's the 10th of her "kind". I'm a little part of instant photography history...



To learn more about Option8/Nate, follow him on Facebook. Check out his work and conversions, I promise you that you will get pretty excited. He's even done work for The Impossible Project. Pretty.stinkin'.awesome!

14 comments:

  1. You can find Manual Land Cameras that don't cost thousands. Look at garage sales and junk shops. That's were I found mine and I didn't spend over $30 for mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome Paula! I'm happy to hear you lucked up on one. I looked for a while but told myself if I got a few hundred bucks that I would do a conversion and not have to wait. A little gift to myself. Nate's work is amazing and worth the splurge. :)

      Delete
  2. Woohoo! How cool is that! Can't wait to see some of the results of all the fun you will have with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I didn't realize you were into the Polaroid scene. Be sure to show some of your results! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's awesome that you're letting your hobby take you places you never imagined. Yesterday we were garage sale-ing and I saw a few polaroid cameras at one house and thought of you. I don't know the first thing about such things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I wish I had been with you. I sort of dove in once I remembered how much I loved instant photography. I'm blessed that my small business helps fund my passion-hobbies. ;)

      Delete
  5. Oohhh i'm drooling! I want one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you get your heart's desire!

      Delete
  6. oh, giddy for you...seriously giddy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, thanks. I think she intimidates me a little...I just need to load her up and go for it!

      Delete

Express Yourself