February 13, 2014

What's Your Genius?


After experiencing my son's video, I began to rethink my perception of my personal learning style. I was curious about what my "geniuses" are; not what I'm "good" at but what I'm "brilliant" at.

The idea of each of us having a strength or ability in a particular learning area is based upon Howard Gardner's theory of Multiple Intelligences. Howard's theory is that we are all geniuses in our own way. We are each equipped with abilities that help us give to the world and take in what we need from the world.



I took a few tests and discovered that I'm strong in the Visual-Spatial and Musical-Rhythmic areas. However, I also found I'm strong in the areas of Verbal-Linguistics and Interpersonal Relationships. I was confused because I had always believed that because I was very good at math, that my primary area would have been Logical-Mathematical. Go figure...? (Pun totally intended!)

But, I had an epiphany after taking a few test versions, reading and journaling. What I now know is that, how I learn and take in ideas can be very different from how I teach others. What I'm passionate about lends to what makes me feel in tune with the world. It's no surprise that I'm drawn to photography, the arts and coaching adults as well as design, shapes and structural elements. Even more astounding is that, although I'm an introvert, I have tremendous interpersonal skills.

EUREKA! It feels so good to have a better understanding of myself. It's all a part of my "deepening".

It's all quite fascinating... If you want to know more about YOUR genius, start your journey here:

Please come back and share what you find!


6 comments:

  1. I had taken those tests for one of my classes. I have to look the results up again. The two that you named are also mine. You told me to my surprise that I am an introvert. Go figure! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cool we have some in common Mom! Yes, I was very surprised when I realized that too. ;)

      Delete
  2. ooh, this was interesting! I got intrapersonal, naturalistic and logical as my top three. My musical intelligence was barely visible :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naturalistic was another one that I was surprised was not at the top of my list. It's cool how we each are our own unique combination of genius! xxO

      Delete
  3. Fascinating stuff! I am, according to one test, musical / linguistic / kinesthetic / naturalistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a delightful combo. I'm sure you're a fantastic dancer! ;)

      Delete

Express Yourself